Once again I headed for Woodvale this summer co-leading the team with Jude and once again I set high expectations, which were completely blown away by the end of the week. I arrived feeling like I hadn’t done very much in the build-up to the team, but instantly felt comfortable and knew that things would work out.
A big part of that was helped by a lot of familiar faces returning from last year’s team … you guys played a massive role in achieving what we did this year. God used each of you in your own unique way to connect with those kids and teens who we came into contact with during the week.
One of the great things I’ve found about leading a team is that once you’re there and up-and-running, you almost become a spectator at times. There were times when I felt like I was standing back and watching God transmit His message through you to the young people you were working with and seeing you shine for Him like the stars that you are!
All week in team devotions we were focusing on the theme of new life and the verse that summed this up for me and summed up how I feel the week went is:
We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God.
2 Corinthians 5:20
We went to Woodvale as servants of the King and ambassadors for Christ … what we witnessed in our time there was a transformation of hearts, souls and attitudes that will help Woodvale Presbyterian shine out into a community that is too often associated with darkness.
Some banterous highlights (which will mostly only make sense to fellow team members) of my week included …
- Lisa’s ridiculous excuse for a bed (second year running!)
- Robert’s inappropriate uses of Benny & Betsy
- Alana’s missing shoe
- Melissa’s “Awk guysssssssssss”
- Our national anthem – “Oh Church Arise”
- Semi-naked team members
- Nipples on Susie’s phone (not related to the previous point by-the-way!)
- Laura Quinn’s affection for the Pink Poodle
- Alana’s manly “Yeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooo”
- Ryan’s epic puppet voice (especially in church on the last Sunday!)
- The legend that is Albert
- India trying to play ‘I Have Never’
- The best goal celebration ever
- Susie’s fear of Betsy
- The “forgiveness balloon” craft
- Busking For Souls
- Frapes almost every day
- Teens acts of random kindness
- Pony pranking Dave’s phone
- Mummy Spence’s amazing chocolate cake
- Susie literally throwing a handful of sweets through a woman’s car window in an “act of kindness”
- Neil’s non-flushing toilet
- Ah bawwwwww
- “You make beautiful things, You make beautiful things out of the dust…”